Thursday, October 13, 2016

West Virginia Flood Relief Week

Hello hello!

How is everyone doing this wonderful fall week? It's starting to get a little windy and chilly here in Virginia. I'm pretty excited for this
fall and winter. Virginia is like the prettiest place during the fall.
This week was pretty fun! We had some good things happen! Last pday we went to DC! It was really cool! We went to see the Korean War memorial and the Vietnam memorial along with the US history museum. It was all things I haven't seen before so it was kind of refreshing. DC is a fun place to go but you are always so tired once you come back...that night we taught a few less actives and spent some time with them. Eric Murray and the esquivel family both of them are so cool.  Tuesday we had district meetings and I
taught about the importance of General conference and listening and believing the words of the prophets and apostles. It was cool we then had a little testimony meeting on what we learned from general conference! It was great! That afternoon we did some service for a Vietnamese lady our friend Hoa! She is cool. Barely speaks any English but is always so nice to us. I mowed the lawn with her super old lawn mower that's about to break. She is very grateful for our service. We visited a member in our ward going through a hard time and helped him with moving some stuff around in his house. Then we were going to
teach a less active family and they all were outside helping change a tire on their van. We helped them fix it up and look nice. They were very grateful as well. The pereira family is a great family I wish they would come to church... Wednesday was awesome! My aunt Jeanie and uncle Grant came to visit me! They took my comp and I out to Chilies!
It was nice to have some good ol Dalton humor that I haven't had in a year and a half. It made me miss the Daltons a lot! We talked and
talked! I really enjoyed it! They are very sweet people:) after their
visit we met with Abay the Indian dude. He is super cool just doesn't really understand our faith even though he is a member...so we are reteaching him. He is convinced that he needs to go back to India to preach the gospel. So that's pretty cool... We then went out and did some street contacting with a member of our ward. Emmanuel is a cool guy just recently married. He helped us with our Spanish. We then met with the Reese family. We are trying to reactive them. Hopefully they come along. They are super funny and so nice. I've been praying a lot
for them...Thursday was transfers. My comp elder Benard and I are
staying together for another 6 weeks which is awesome! We are having a good time! A member took us and the Algonkian elders whom were transferring out to Ihop before transfer meeting. It was so much fun. Elder hild is a funny missionary and they moved him to the other side of the mission dangit! That night we had dinner with the decker family and brother decker is in charge of helping these West Virginia flood victims from back in June. So we traveled  around the area with him picking up furniture and moving it to the church. We were so tired by
the end of the night. Friday we week planned and helped brother decker
again with furniture. Saturday was the big flood event. We helped all morning picking up furniture and loading it into three big semi truck trailers. It took forever but it was so rewarding and so much fun. I also experienced a miracle while working for the flood victims... About a year ago my companion elder Blanchard and I taught a little girl by the name of Madison Phan. She is the daughter of a less active
family. Things weren't really going anywhere with them. As I was
walking into the church to go to the bathroom I noticed a baptismal
program. IT WAS MADISONS! Holy cow! I about died when I read it. My heart was filled with joy! I made sure to congratulate Madison and the Phan family. WOW! Saturday was such a rewarding day.
Sunday was just as good! Okay...Dave got confirmed a member and
received the gift of the Holy Ghost. Bishop then interviewed him for the priesthood. Dave came out of his office and said "well elder
Routsong would your confer the priesthood to me?"
I was speechless...the spirit was so strong the whole time at church.
SO AMAZING.
After church we taught Dave and I could tell he was different. I saw a new light in his eyes..God is so loving and so good to us.
After Daves lesson we went and taught a young 24 year old man named Noah. He was hesitant to let us in. We taught him the restoration and the spirit filled the room... He said "I know this is the right way to live but I'm not sure what to do about it!" We invited him to be baptized if he knew it was true and he said YES! We will continue to work with him. Elder Benard and I were fasting for people to teach and God blessed us with Noah... God is so good!
This week was very blessed. Being a missionary is wonderful. We will make it to heaven if we keep trying! I love the words of elder Cornish this past conference

"The God of heaven is not a heartless referee looking for any excuse
to throw us out of the game. He is our perfectly loving Father, who
yearns more than anything else to have all of His children come back
home and live with Him as families forever. He truly gave His Only
Begotten Son that we might not perish but have everlasting life!"

Have a wonderful week!!
Love
Elder Routsong



No comments:

Post a Comment